One of the plans being considered by U.S. authorities regarding Iran is the assassination of the spiritual leader of the Islamic Republic, Khamenei, and his son, Axios reports. The publication previously stated that the U.S. is ready to strike Iran this weekend.
One of the scenarios regarding Iran being considered by U.S. leadership is the assassination of the 86-year-old spiritual leader of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and his 56-year-old son Mojtaba. This was reported on Friday, January 20, by the American portal Axios, citing a senior advisor to American leader Donald Trump.
"They have a plan for every scenario. One of the scenarios involves the assassination of the Ayatollah, his son, and the mullahs. No one knows what the president will choose. I think he doesn’t know himself," the Axios source said. Another source from the portal clarified that the plan to assassinate Khamenei and his son was proposed to Trump several weeks ago. American and Israeli officials also told Axios that the U.S. president might decide to strike Iran as early as this weekend.
At the same time, the Trump administration is prepared to consider a scenario in which Iran is allowed "a small, symbolic enrichment" of uranium that would not enable the creation of a bomb. "President Trump will be ready to accept a deal that is substantial and that he can politically promote domestically," one of the Axios sources said.
On February 19, Trump Gave Iran 10-15 Days to Reach a Deal
The U.S. and Iran resumed negotiations on the nuclear program in early February, mediated by Oman - the first time since the twelve-day war between Israel and Iran in June 2025, during which the U.S. sided with Israel and struck Iranian nuclear facilities. The second round of indirect negotiations took place on Tuesday, February 17, in Geneva.
Against the backdrop of the negotiations, the U.S. sharply increased its military presence in the region. Trump ordered a second aircraft carrier, as well as additional ships and aircraft, to be sent there. On February 19, the U.S. president stated that Iran faced military action if the negotiations ended without a result. "We must reach a substantive agreement, or bad things will happen," Trump said, adding that he was giving Tehran a deadline of "10 to 15 days."
The next day, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated on the American television channel MS Now that his country’s proposal on the nuclear program would be sent to the U.S. after final approval by the political leadership. According to him, the plan would outline "political commitments and technical measures" that guarantee the use of Iran's nuclear program solely for peaceful purposes.
Leave a comment